Duluth, MN is a small urban community along the North Shore of Lake Superior.
As a major port city, Duluth’s history has been tied to the shipment of coal, iron ore, and grain all over the world. Its local industry brought a wave of immigrants to the area looking to establish themselves among the working class in the early twentieth century. Like other small urban communities, Duluth experienced an industrial decline that took away many of the once prominent working opportunities. But the heart of the community is guided by local leaders dedicated to caring for those caught in the wake of that decline.
How We Support Duluth’s Local Leaders
Since 1998, YouthWorks has been invited back to Duluth by local community leaders, church partners, and ministries that support the community through relational service opportunities.
RELATIONAL SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
These local leaders have identified that YouthWorks groups can provide additional support for their volunteers addressing the needs of elderly community members, those lacking safe and affordable housing, and the local children who are a part of the Boys and Girls Club efforts across the community.
Many aspects of Duluth might feel similar to your own community. This provides a powerful opportunity for your students to make a strong connection between the service experiences they have on their mission trip and the opportunities that are available for them back home. Our pre and post-trip resources provide you with the ways that you can help your students make that connection so that God can open their eyes to all the ways they can continue their mission trip back home in their own community.
Join Us in Duluth, MN
Come join us this summer as we support all that God is doing through our local partners in Duluth.
And before you arrive in Duluth, be praying for the following things:
- Pray for our community partners who are dedicated to meeting the needs of their neighbors in Duluth.
- Pray for the families and individuals struggling to find affordable housing and resources to meet the basic food needs.
- Pray for the network of local pastors who are embodying the light and life of the Gospel in their communities.
- Pray for the local families who are in the midst of financial struggles.
- Pray for the ongoing care of local families in need, that they may see the presence of God in the support that they receive.
- Pray for the logistics of this summer, and that teams coming to serve in Rutland will embody respectful service that celebrates what God is doing through the ministries of our local partners.