Situated along the Mississippi, Columbia is a town rich in history and culture.
The town was established in the early 19th century and in grew into a booming political hub, even becoming the temporary home of the state’s capital. Industry also thrived during the same season because of its location on the river. Through civil wars, civil rights movements, and a drop in economic stature, Columbia and its residents have faced challenges with incredible perseverance.
How We Support Columbia’s Local Leaders
YouthWorks has been invited to Columbia by local community leaders, church partners, and ministries that support the community through both Kids Club and home repair projects.
These local leaders have identified that a YouthWorks Kids Club program can help strengthen their efforts to provide year-round support for children in the foster care system.
Compared to other communities in the South, Marion County has one of the highest rates of children in the foster care system. By serving through Kids Club programming, you’ll be providing simple volunteer support for these local leaders during the summer months and assisting their efforts to develop a year-round safe haven for these children to grow and thrive.
Another way that Columbia’s local leaders have identified an opportunity for YouthWorks to support their community is through minor home repair projects.
Like other small towns, Columbia has experienced a loss of industry and resources. Many families are impacted by minimal job opportunities, and a large number of the available opportunities are at or below minimum wage. By taking on some of the minor home repair projects for families in Columbia, we’ll be supporting local leaders who work year-round to help care for the greatest needs of families in their community.
Join Us in Columbia, MS
Come join us this summer as we support all that God is doing through our local partners in Columbia, MS.
And before you arrive, be praying for the following things:
- Pray for our community partners, especially the staff caring for the students of the Marion county school system.
- Pray for the families who are in the midst of financial struggles.
- Pray for the kids in the foster care system and that the local church will continue to be a source for homes and loving families for these kids.
- Pray for the ongoing care of local families in need, that they may see the presence of God in the support that they receive.
- Pray for the logistics of this summer, and that teams coming to serve in Columbia will embody respectful service that celebrates what God is doing through the ministries of our local partners.